Tuesday, January 27, 2009

2 weeks! trip to OS

My visit to the oral surgeon today was quite productive. I was released to eat soft foods, I can sleep whatever way is comfortable and I don't go back for 2 weeks! He also took out a few stitches that were bothering me. He and I both smiled because it kind of hurt when he took the stitches out - it was that understanding that it hurt because there's so much feeling in my mouth.

On the soft food note... Tom made tilapia, baked potatoes, and applesauce for dinner. It took a while but I ate it all! It was fun to eat real food again! Yea!!

I'm also at that weird stage of feeling different but not looking too different. For example, I took Natalie to the orthodontist today and while I was sitting there I told everyone in the waiting room I had just had jaw surgery 2 weeks ago. (In case they were wondering why I looked so strange - which everyone said they never would have known but hoped I felt better soon.)

It was fun to get out and do a few things and to not feel exhausted. I'm hoping that's because I can sleep better at night due to the enlarged airway. I still don't have the airway numbers but I'm hoping to by the next visit.

That's all for now...

7 comments:

Katherine (Kate) said...

Hip Hip!
~Fishy Food
~Positive Pain
~Strangers Don't Think You're Strange (looking)
~Expanded Internal Ventilation

That a whole lot of good, right there! :)

mcgee33 said...

great summary! I love the way you see things!!!! You're hilarious1

laura said...

Do you notice the expanded airway in normal life? Does it feel different?

Hooray for soft foods!

Have you tried Ensure? I still drink that stuff quite often - it's so efficient. No searching for healthy, chewable food, no stuff caught in braces, don't even need to be able to open your mouth very wide. Just drink and you're done.

Actually, I haven't tried the real Ensure. The Safeway version is inexpensive and tastes pretty good, so that's what I've been drinking. The Walgreens version is yuck.

laura said...

Is that a haiku, Katherine? It's something ...

mcgee33 said...

Laura!! Yeah!!! It's good to hear from you. Yes, I have tried Ensure. I like the vanilla warmed with a little cinnamon. Also, the roof of my mouth is still numb so it feels like I have an extra thick plastic thing up there and I can't tell about my throat. The thing I do notice is I don't feel like I'm choking when I'm lying down reading or watching tv. I used to feel like I couldn't breathe when my chin was down toward my chest! I'm also not snoring and I'm waking more rested. Although today I'm really tired, but I did a lot yesterday!

laura said...

Ooh, not choking is good! And so is feeling more rested! Yuck at feeling like there's extra plastic in there. I know the feeling of having extra stuff in there even when there isn't - it does go away.

I've been here! It's just that this is the first time I commented on the latest post (I think).

I just realized that Katherine's Strangers line had a parenthetical bit because it's a song reference (woo!), not necessarily to get the right number of syllables.

Katherine (Kate) said...

AHAHAHAHHA!!! You just made my day, Laura!

Clever girl :)