Wednesday, January 14, 2009

i have a chin!!!!!!!

Good morning, bad night! The good news is that I have a lot of feeling. My upper and lower lips both have feeling. The doc said in 25 years of doing this surgery, he's only had one other case of doing this and the person having feeling in the lower lip. So, that' another one of those 'kisses' from God I was asking him for! The yukky news was how much my throat hurt. It seemed like I would dose off for 10 minutes and then I would gag and wake up. One time I got a little panicky. But, the most important thing is to stay relaxed and calm and just breathe through your nose. Dr. G told me they really had to work hard to get my chin forward - he said it just didn't want to go! So, my neck is pretty sore from him and the other doctor pulling so hard. I'm on morphine right now, so forgive me if I repeat myself. My mom stayed over in the hospital with me which gave me a real sense of peace and being cared for. The one time I was panicking, I couldn't find the call button and she was right there getting the nurse for me. More later...

8 comments:

Katherine (Kate) said...

It is SOOOO good to hear from you!! That is absolutely one big smacker from above~ wonderful to hear of the feeling in those lips :)

That tube down the throat does seem to cause a lot of discomfort, but it should be much better in a day or two. Drink as much as you can!

Awww, mom's are the best, and it doesn't matter how old we are it just feels good to have them around.

Can't wait till you're ready to show off that chin! Will be thinking of you with your ongoing recovery :) *hug*

mukijl said...

Elaine:
Congratulations on making it to the other side. God willing, you have put the worst part of the surgery behind you. Thank you for your update: I've been thinking of you, hoping all went well and without
complications. Hope your hospital stay will be brief, and that your apnea is resolved (and that you love and enjoy your new face). Take good care; will look forward to hearing about your new post op journey.
Sweet dreams Elaine!!!!
Julie
mukijl@aol.com

Carolina said...

Yay, Elaine! Ok take it one day at a time now, and you will be feeling finer by the day! Promise. Chin up, always :)

Katherine said...

Wonderful news to hear from you...and to hear how much feeling you've got. I admit it, I'm jealous. :)

laura said...

Yay!! Congrats on your new chin and lack of numbness!!

mcgee33 said...

Every up seems to have a down... I'm in a lot of pain, swallowing is difficult (which I need to do so I can eat and take pain meds). I need to stay a little more up on the meds, it seems by the time I eat and take them, I'm an hour late and that's no good. Thanks for all the good wishes and prayers. Katherine, I just kept thinking about what you said about not kissing your husband enough. Then, I woke up with feeling and and my husband has kissed me several times and we are both glad. It's very fun to have that story as part of the healing, thanks for that!

Clarissa said...

Yay...it's great to hear you're on the mend Elaine!! Those sore throats are no fun and although it will last just a few days, you'll feel like you have something in your throat for a bit longer. I did just what you mentioned about feeling like your going to gag...I can't wait to see your new chin...now we can compare who has the nicest chin. :)

How wonderful you mom was able to hang out with you and help you when you needed it. Mom's are great like that...no matter how old you are!

Make sure to post some pictures soon and I'll continue to pray for a speedy recovery!

mcgee33 said...

Just for clarification sake, feeling doesn't equal function. I can feel my lips, but I still function like an awkward teenager. And, wow that swelling really is uncomfortable - to say the least!