Thursday, February 12, 2009

day 30 ... crooked septum to be straightened

Not too much to report. Dr. G took out my last stitches that were driving me nuts. I have a lot of feeling everywhere. Even little 'tickles' in the roof of my mouth. Some of my teeth are still numb.

So, when I saw Dr. G, he tried to straighten out my septum manually. It's a lot of pressure and he didn't want to try too hard. So, the next step is IV sedation, he'll take a blunt instrument and try to move the septum back to the midline (where he placed it after surgery!... apparently the swelling pushed it to the right and it hasn't gone back). Hopefully, it will continue to heal in its new proper position and nothing further will be needed. If not, I guess septoplasy. Whatever...

Yesterday, I ran into a woman I've known for years. We've traveling in similar circles and know many of the same people but haven't spent much time together ourselves. Anyway, once at lunch, then later while I was out shopping. We said hi and moved on. A little while later (in the evening shopping time), she says, "Elaine?". And I say, "Yeah"... It was so funny because I thought she knew the whole time, but she couldn't place me. We had a fun conversation on why I look like me, but different and it was pretty funny!!!

People who know me well are pretty open about me looking a lot different but it's fun to run into a situation like that. Here I thought she knew, but she was really searching her mind to figure out who I was and then later, took a chance by asking!! It was fun.

My daughter's friend keeps saying how 'creepy' it is that I look so different. She's funny. I'm not having a hard time with it, just wondering if I'll think I look better, or if I'll miss the old me. Right now, the only things bothering me are my lack of a smile and my midface swelling. I really feel like Richard Nixon, but mostly I think it's exaggerated in my own mind!

What a process!!! Sleep is good, though, and I'm so glad for that!

4 comments:

funkyrhodes said...

Glad to hear you're progressing well in your recovery! :)

Sharon said...

I love your comparison to Nixon. That's how I'm feeling too!

Clarissa said...

Hi Elaine,

So glad things are coming along well for you. Ouch on the nose straightening...I hope that it heals straight for you.

mcgee33 said...

Thanks everybody... I sure hope the Nixon thing goes away. I think that's where I'm still swollen and stiff, that might be why. When I compare my face before and after, I just look a little shorter in the area between my mouth and eyes. Around my mouth feels a little wider and my face goes out more, I guess that's why I feel like Nixon! I just keep shakin' my jowls with my head forward (like a turtle) and putting my hands forward with a 2-fingered peace sign in each one! Nixon is pretty easy to imitate!