Tuesday, February 17, 2009

5 weeks post-op

I can't believe it's been 5 weeks since surgery! I'm feeling fairly normal. I'm still numb inside my mouth; roof, upper teeth. A little stiff around my nose and mouth, but it seems to loosen up during the day. And, it's still laborious to chew. I'm wearing my bands about 16 hours a day. I've been allowed to blow my nose since the surgery (softly, but still allowed).

I guess the biggest bummer is a lisp I've developed during healing. I'm hoping it will go away. I haven't noticed it today. But, when I talk a lot (almost always), I find myself apologizing for the lisp, saying it's only temporary, due to surgery.

That's pretty much it physically... emotionally, I'm feeling a little down. As I think about it, I think after so much time focused on surgery and healing, I need a new focus.

My son's girlfriend broke up with him Sunday night and we're all feeling pretty badly for him. She's been so wonderful for him and for our whole family. We already miss her. Maybe that's why I'm down. Also feeling a little misunderstood for my son, I think her family thinks he broke up with her and they might be mad at him. It was her decision and it came totally out of the blue. Not that any of this has to do with my blog. I guess I just wanted to vent a little.

Thanks for listening. I'll post after my doctor tries to move my septum (Thursday at 2:00).

5 comments:

Mollieb said...

I got a lisp too. For the most part it has gone away, but getting used to talking with your mouth in a different shape is a chore! Good luck!

mcgee33 said...

Thanks, I do think it will be a chore to get rid of it, but I am highly motivated!!

laura said...

Sorry about your son :(

I bet the lisp will go away over time as you get used to your new mouth shape.

How's the swelling?

mcgee33 said...

Thanks Laura. It's amazing how much things with my kids will affect me. I feel pretty down right now.

Swelling is doing much better. I've been taking bromelain. Don't know if it's helping but it seems to be. My jaw is pretty sore in the morning. I think I'm grinding my teeth (which is nothing new!). My jaw is sore and my teeth and gums are sore. Good sign in a way... sore means feeling!

Thanks for your comments.

Sharon said...

I am 4 weeks post-op tomorrow and I feel down too -- more down over things that I normally wouldn't. I think it all has to do with the surgery and our healing. I don't have a lisp but I think I sound drunk. Sorry to hear about your son. We went through that with my step-son a year ago February. Glad we aren't having to go through that right now and recover from surgery at the same time. Hang in there.