Tuesday, November 25, 2008

my OS appointment

I love my oral surgeon! I took my 17 year old son in today to have his wisdom teeth removed and I had another pre-surgical visit. I brought in photos of different profiles, including my own. I told the surgeon I know we're doing this for medical reasons but I wanted to talk about the aesthetic part of it. He said, "good, good, that is so important" and really commended me for bringing in all the pictures and said we'll talk about this more, as much as I need to. He was so understanding about what a big deal it is to change someone's face. He really complimented me on all the research I'm doing and said how important it is to prepare yourself psychologically for this type of surgery. I felt so validated. The good part of our conversation was he thought I was asking for minimal change to my profile and that would have inhibited his ability to change my airway very much. When I showed him pictures, and told him what I thought looked better, it was more movement of the top and bottom and he said that was good and really frees him up to do the best job he can for my airway! I feel like we're on the same page. This is good news and I look forward to my next appointment when we'll go over my records, see a prediction of my face change, and talk more about what he's thinking and what I'm thinking. The big question is how to communicate my chin desires... any suggestions? He mentioned a 'button' chin. The skin dips inward under the lip and then comes out at the chin, even with the lower lip (I think).

Now for the important information... my son is doing fine. All of his teeth were erupted, so surgery was uneventful. He's sleeping peacefully at the moment!

3 comments:

ummul said...

:-)

:-)

:-)

Enjoy your jaw surgery journey...

regard,
ummul

mcgee33 said...

Thanks for your reply!!!

Clarissa said...

Wow...our journey is very similar. My seventeen year old son had has wisdom teeth out by my oral surgeon the day after Thanksgiving...all four. :)