Thursday, April 23, 2009

zing... what was that!?

Yesterday, I was standing in the kitchen and all of the sudden something snapped inside my face. It felt like a rubber band in my mouth but I didn't have any in there. My face was sore up by my nose. I couldn't figure it out until last night. Then, I realized it must be one of the stitches Dr. G used to hold my nose in place. He put some really strong stitch in a figure 8 on the outside of my nostrils to keep them from spreading out. I saw him this morning and he checked out my plates and screws and agreed that it was that stitch. Apparently it tore through the muscle and it is very sore. I don't need it anymore because my nose is healed and in place so that's good news.

My septum surgery is scheduled for June 12th (I hate to wait that long!). We have so much going on for the end of the school year so I had to move it from May 15th.

On a recovery note, I'm leading worship at church on Sunday for the first time since Jan. (pre-surgery) and it was weird singing last night. We practiced for several hours last night and it was strange singing. My face feels stiff, some of the numb areas are starting to wake up and I'm at an uncomfortable phase. Not numb, not totally feeling... Dr. G said a lot of people think this is a frustrating phase. After taking 3 months off, I'm scheduled a lot for the next 3 months. I'm sure it will get better but I'm feeling a little self-conscious right now and not looking forward to singing in front of people on Sunday. The good news is we have a really great group of people and they'll be totally supportive and cool about the whole thing!

That's it for me...

2 comments:

Katherine (Kate) said...

Oh my, that doesn't sound like a fun feeling~ Good timing to have an appointment with Dr.G to have your suspicions confirmed!

June 12 is a beautiful day (my birthday, haha) and like you mention with this being such a crazy time of year, it will be here before you know it :) Getting ready to just be done with it all?

Good for you, jumping back into your church ministry. The first time will be the hardest, just try to remind yourself that people (shouldn't) be focused on you at that time anyways ;) It might register briefly that something's different, but I bet they quickly refocus on the task at hand :)

It DOES sound like an awckward time to be in the recovery: a 'poop or get off the pot' phase, shall we call it?! Weird non-feeling aside, how does your actual jaw feel when singing? Does it feel different now that everything is lined up differently? Enunciation changes? Does your actual voice sound any different now that interior resonnance space is changed? Sorry to bombard you, but it fascniates me how this can affect so many areas of our lives. Crazy the things we might/ mightnot think of :)

Take care, Elaine, and will be waiting to hear that septum has been put back where it belongs!

mcgee33 said...

Thanks for the post Kate! My face still feels tight, things are in a different place, I feel like I have a lisp, very self-conscious, etc... I thought I would have a better range now that my airway is bigger, but I think it will take some time to learn how to use it! I've been thinking about it, singing a little, and thought my voice was doing more. However, nothing compares to singing into a microphone for 2 hours for the first time in months. It's like exercising after lying around on a sofa. It doesn't do what it's supposed to! Good questions though.

You're right about where the focus should and (hopefully) will be. That's a very good reminder... thanks for that as well!

Looking forward to your adventure! It's coming up SO SOON!

Here's to things being put where they belong!!!!